Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Success Squad 2012 - Our First Meeting



Last month I finally took the time to read the awesome book, The Right Brained Business Plan by Jennifer Lee.  This book is for creative people that want to start and/or expand their businesses in exciting and new ways. I was buzzing with when I finished it! Because I'm a visual learner the illustrations done  by Kate Prentiss made me extremely happy and don't forget to take full advantage of the downloadable worksheets. I use these worksheets all of the time. 


One of the main things I came away with from this book is that I needed more support this year to achieve my goals. Jennifer mentions starting a Success Squad and it is a group of 4-7 women who get together once a month to talk about the challenges, successes, and be the gentle kick in the ass to get one another's visions turned into reality. So, I sent out an invitation to some of my favorite creative women in San Francisco and we decided to meet up in January. Our first gathering occurred at a coffee shop in the Mission called Summit. Everyone got out of bed at 9am on a Sunday for this, whoa, I know. We went around the group and did an exercise so we could all get to know one another's names and then we said who we were, what we did, how long we've been doing it, and any challenges we're facing this year. What a dynamic group of women we are! There's three interior designers, one make up artist, one color consultant, two photographers, one marketing & PR diva, one maven of make and a digital media expert. Here we are:


Here's my sister, owner of EM Design Interiors and Lucite + Lavender.
Lou is a professional make up artist. She just moved here. 
Cecile is an interior designer and loves what she does!
Kelly is an interior designer, color expert, & writer/blogger. She owns Arte Styling. 
Rachel owns Hue Consulting and paints amazing murals. 
Genevieve co-owns LightboxSF and is empowering creative professionals to take over the world. 
Kassin is the owner of Interior Design Fair.
Sophie owns Shameless Photography specializing in pinup & silver screen & retro boudoir portraits.
Lisa is our Maven of Make, owner of Zelma Rose and the co-founder of Awfully Grand.
Karrie is starting a business called VideoKard. Will post a link when her site is ready!
Here's Lisa and me. I am a photographer and own Portraits To The People
What I want to share with you now is when we feel the most creative. I think it is really interesting how certain activities/times of the day were brought up again and again. Ok, here's our list of when we feel the most creative:

  • Exercising
  • Middle of the night - 4am waking up w/ a head full of ideas
  • Falling asleep
  • Right after you organize/clean off your desk
  • Driving
  • Washing the dishes
  • Baking
  • Cooking
  • Getting out of the house
  • Drawing
  • Reading
  • Starting a new project

And finally, here is a consolidated list of what we're facing as creative professionals. 

  • Time management
  • Staying organized
  • Delegating
  • Where we work - from home & in our bedrooms
  • Sales - how to get them & closing the deal
  • Freelancing vs. Self-Employment - are they the same/different?
  • Getting paid for what we are worth
  • Consistent work
  • Clients - finding them, keeping them, working with quality clients
  • Accountability
  • Finding balance - workaholics, mommy guilt, partners feeling neglected
  • Building a community of other small business owners
  • Branding
  • Marketing - social media navigation, web presence, blogs, Twitter, developing marketing plans
  • Changing our roles in our established businesses 
  • Managing client expectations


What would you add to our list? And what are you going to do about it this year? I encourage you to follow along with us and perhaps recruit a group of women and start your own Success Squad. I left our first meeting feeling like anything is possible and how often can you say you feel like that?!
Here we are basking in the amazingness that is the Success Squad 2012. 


Happy Tuesday!

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Such a great wrap-up! I was there, but your post makes me re-visit the questions again. btw, I love your "basking" photo the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karrie! Can't wait to be blogging about your amazingness this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post Sarah! Can't wait for the next meeting. We do look excited don't we?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock Sarah! What a great re-cap ladies. I def got a kick in the pants and have been rocking out since we met. I owe a lot of that energy to all of you! Such in inspiring group of women.

    ReplyDelete