Thursday, March 29, 2012

The A-Team


I got some really great news this week regarding Zelma Rose. I'm not ready to talk about it, because like everything else in the world of small business, there is that possibility that it will fall through, but never the less, I had to do a ton of work in a very short amount of time to prepare for a potentiality. Sounds familiar, right?

http://collider.com

Well, lucky for me, I have spent the past few months pulling together my own Zelma Rose A-Team and I'm oh so glad I did! Pretty much exactly like the popular 80's TV show, there are different personalities carrying out different tasks, all helping to keep Zelma Rose in tip top shape. Without my team in place, I NEVER would have been able to adequately prepare for this surprise business opportunity.

Hiring out my weaknesses was a tip I received from creative entrepreneur Willo O'Brien. I was interviewing Willo for an IndieMade Blog piece, you can read the interview here, and she shared with me the importance of knowing your strengths and weaknesses as a small business owner. Willo advised me to spend time on my strengths and hire out whatever weaknesses I could afford. Whether that was in the form of online applications, or actual people, do it and do it now. With Willo's sage advice in tow, I set out to gather my A-Team. And yes, I need an entire team, my weaknesses are many. It takes a village!

www.ilovedoodle.etsy.com

So how did I do it? How did I gather my bad ass, street fighting, riding around in a van team? Like all good 80's TV show plots, I went out on a mission, with a killer soundtrack of course. Here are some tips on how to assemble a crack team of experts.

  • Research and Investigate. Ask around. Approach friends and colleagues and ask for their recommendations and keep a running list. This can help with cross referencing. If three different people give you the name of the same graphic designer, that's a good sign!
  • Collect. When at conferences, events, and meetings, collect business cards. Then keep them organized! A friend once told me when looking for a copy editor, she took out a business card from a conference two years earlier. You never know!
  • Once you have assembled a group that you feel good about, take the time to get to know them, how they work and what a typical timeline is. This is really helpful when you find yourself in a last minute time crunch.
Here's my A-Team, for those of you looking to recreate your own 80's TV show:



Who's in your A-Team, besides Mr. T of course?

xo

Lisa


1 comment:

  1. This is a great post. I certainly have an A Team too! Need more photographers in there, so we can refer work to one another, right!?

    ReplyDelete