Monday, April 9, 2012

New Business Ventures

In March I flew down to Los Angeles to photograph one of my best friend's sister's wedding. She got married at the Los Angeles County Arboretum and Botanical Gardens and wow it was gorgeous. When I saw that she was engaged on FB I immediately wrote to her and was like "I have to shoot your wedding, pick me, pick me, pick me!" which was kind of insane because for the past year or so, I've been saying that I don't shooting weddings.

Why would I say that, you ask? Because it is an enormous amount of work, lots of stress, tons of email correspondence, pressure to get the shot, at least 12 hours on your feet, processing around 2,000 images, carrying around pounds of equipment and you'll probably get kinda sweaty. But I knew that I would do a good job for Sarah and Ryan and when I went back to the wedding blogs like Snippet and Ink, Rock N' Roll Bride, 1000 Layer Cake, etc....I remembered that's how I fell in love with photography in the first place! Wedding photographers do incredible work and they're there with you on your biggest day. My wedding photographer has become one of my best friends and I totally want to be adopted by the family of the groom! It is a lot of responsibility to photograph someone's wedding and maybe that's why I was hesitant to do it - but now, I trust in my skills, believe in myself as an artist and I did a stellar job. Woo hoo!

So, I packed up my gear, didn't sleep much the week before and photographed a beautiful event for two dear friends. And I think I'm hooked because all of a sudden I'm getting requests to do engagement sessions and I'm working with Molly of Rabbit Foot Fern to make me a new logo for my wedding photography business. I can't wait to show it to you - she's so damn good it is ridiculous.

Here's to my new business venture and yes, I am totally insane to be running not one, but two photography businesses on top of my regular day job. Sometimes the universe provides us a lot all at once and you just have to go with it.









All of these photos are from my Holga camera that I had with me during the wedding. Kind of blurry yes, but they capture an incredible day in 12 prints. Can't wait to send these to my bride and groom and I'll totally be doing this for all of my couples - film is not dead!

What new business venture would you start up if you knew you couldn't fail because I kind of feel like that right now!?

1 comment:

  1. We seem to be leading the way with the wedding add another business to our business! I'm with you, when the wave comes you better be ready to ride!! These are gorgeous Sarah!

    ReplyDelete