Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Just Be a Woman

Sarah sent this quote to me with the subject line, "Interesting."

Indeed.







Sarah knows how to light a fire under me and this quote did just the trick.  I searched high and low for an origin, but I came up empty.  Just a pointless trail of other people quoting the quote as a feminist manifesto.  It's super hot on Pinterest right now. Really?

Let's break it down...

1. Look like a girl.  Guess what? If you are a woman at one point in time you did look like a girl.  That point in time is called the past.  Let's leave it there.

2. Act like a lady.  What exactly does this mean?  Hmmm let me guess.  Polite, having no opinion on any matter of significance, soft spoken, and showing a little leg.  I like being a big, fat, loud mouth.  Guess I'm not a lady.

3. Think like a man.  Sigh.  No thanks.  Really, no thank you.

4.  Work like a boss.  Okay this one I have less issue with.  BUT,  I'm the boss, and I'm usually covered with either half eaten food, poop, or dog vomit, and struggling to get out of my pajamas by 9 even thought I have been up since 4. Let's split the difference and say that it might mean being decisive, driven, and dominating.  All traits I embody by the way, even covered in poo.

I'm not really sure where this gets us.  I for one am not interested in doing anything like a girl, lady, man, or anyone else for that matter.  I am lucky though. I'm surrounded by powerful and creative women.  We encourage each other to trail blaze, write our own rules and honor our wonderful and complicated selves.

If you can't break through the glass ceiling, find a better way.  Go around it.

Here's what I propose...we all just be women.  That is more than enough.  

xo

Lisa

4 comments:

  1. AGREED!!! I, too, have no interest in this quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Christina!! So glad I am not alone on this one! Thanks so much for your comments :)

      xo

      Lisa

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, stuff like this drives me mad! You know, I'm kinda happy just being Clare. In my opinion, my gender doesn't define me. Especially since culture seems to decide what it means to be a woman anyway! Whose to say what makes a woman? I just want to be me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Claire! Love it! We are beyond definition. Superb!

      xo

      Lisa

      Delete