Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Your Branding Sucks!

This week on the blog Lisa and I are talking about embracing our failures and accepting what we don't well. I mentioned our blog theme to a friend yesterday and you should've seen the look on her face! She said, "Really? Have you and Lisa ever really failed at anything?" I realized that failure is a very subjective term and what I would describe a failure, is certainly different for you. But I am open to that word and I embrace it, squeeze it tightly, let it seep into my brain, analyze what I'm doing and cut the stuff out that isn't working and therefore, if I have to ditch it, it was a failure. Perhaps harsh, but I don't have time to go back and forth worrying about something working or not. Gotta try something new and see if that works. I blame this un-attachment thing on my astrological sign - double Aquarius, whoa.

Anyway, today I'm going to show you my old logo designed by Molly of Rabbit Foot Fern Design for Portraits To The People. Was my old logo lame, of course not, it was gorgeous, but I look back at it now wondering if I thought I was a waitress in a 1950's diner. I love buttons and I'd just gotten married when I made the logo, so I was still obsessed with red and blue.

This logo didn't reflect who I am as a photographer and how could I know that a year ago? Do I think that this logo was one of my failures as a small business owner, yes, kind of. This failure has nothing to do with Molly, my designer, either - it was me steering this ship and I own it. I loved the hell out of this logo at the time and working with her was a total dream. She translated my mood boards and feedback into this piece of art. I was getting in my own way!

I reflected on the logo, thought about who I was as a photographer and then rebranded myself. It has made all of the difference too. I look more professional, my color palette is simple and I have a memorable avatar. Hmmm, maybe my old logo was perfect for a weekend photographer, but not for a girl who thinks about photography 24/7. I take myself far more seriously now and so, my logo/branding should reflect that!

When is the last time you gave your business a check up? What would you change? How are you getting in your own way?

xo
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Sarah I love this! And I love that we can count on each other to say, "Um, what's going on with that?" Bad idea jeans. xo

    ReplyDelete