Friday, July 20, 2012

What’s Your Price Tag? Guest Post by the Fabulous Karrie Myers Taylor of Videokard

We are so very lucky to have a guest post this week from friend and creative phenom, Karrie Myers Taylor.  For those of you who don't know Karrie, she is the talent behind Videokard, making movie trailers for your business and your life. Sarah and I are big fans of Karrie and her work.  Check out her website for examples of her beautiful and eye-catching videos. You just might see someone you know!  Take it away, Karrie!

What’s Your Price Tag?



Recently, I landed one of those grand slam clients. You know, the coveted ones. The kind that can offer a ton of repeat business in the future. The kind that will hand you a blank check and say create whatever you want, with very few restrictions.  After months of trying to define who my idea client was for myself, they had unexpectedly found me. 

And I was sick to my stomach over it.
.


Charging clients what I’m actually worth is an ongoing challenge for me.  One, because the kind of business I run is already expensive; the cost of hiring someone to shoot and edit your video can go into the thousands.  Two, because I am a big ole scaredy cat.  Explaining why I’m worth what I say I’m worth is literally a Top Five Greatest Fear of mine; right before “drowning”.

Putting a price tag on your services can bring up all sorts of issues of self worth and standards of personal success.  To be a creative person is stressful; it’s actually easier to go to a job everyday with a boss who will direct and delegate to you.  As a creative entrepreneur, I direct myself, and I am constantly putting myself in the position where my feelings could get hurt.  Someone may not like my work, and when you’re a creative, your work doesn’t punch out at 5’o clock…your work is you

By not charging people as much as I should, I get the luxury of never having the conversation of “what are my services truly worth”? But then, if I don’t paid as much as I could, and will probably resent it and myself later.

To quell the butterflies in my stomach, I asked myself a few questions and answered them right there:  Am I good enough?  Yes, or they wouldn’t have hired me.  Do I know enough?  I know a lot more than most.  Is there someone who could do this better?  Of course there is.  But as my friend Justin, a self-taught web designer of Creosote Journal, once said, “Why worry about those who can and don’t?”

I decided that avoiding the conversation wasn’t necessarily avoiding it; I was just postponing it until the next client came along.  The goal is not to avoid a confrontation, it’s about being able to recover from it and not sell yourself short n the process.   

So, once I realized the conversation was going to keep happening, I decided to welcome it with open arms.  I became the queen of “I Wish They Would”.  I wish they would ask me to justify my price; it will give me an opportunity to explain why I am worth every penny! I wish they would decide not to hire me; I’m just opening space up for a better client!   I needed to have this experience over and over, to be able to stop living in fear of it.

By the end of the day, I was welcoming the opportunity to explain myself.  And as it turns out, that opportunity never came.  The golden goose client loved his final video and had a check in the mail to me that day. 

The turning point for me is realizing I can’t avoid confrontation by worrying about it.  And I can’t avoid explaining my price by pricing myself too low.  Every client is an opportunity to sing your own praises to yourself.  And there is no better feeling than cashing a check with the full amount of what your services are worth emblazoned on the front. 


Thanks Karrie!

You can find out more about Karrie Myers Taylor at Videokard.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! It was a pleasure! I just love sharing this process with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post, Karrie. This is a question I've asked myself, too. After doing the research, I realized I did sell myself short on one occasion - and that won't happen again! I don't know why believing in our own awesome-ness can be challenging sometimes. I love this line in particular: "Every client is an opportunity to sing your own praises to yourself." Inspiring words! I will keep them handy for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here Here!! Fantastic words, and they are ones that have been running through my head over and over for the past few months. I love that your golden goose found you.

    ReplyDelete