Thursday, September 13, 2012

Waiting For Perfect


This week Lisa and I thought that it would be fun to talk about the subjectivity of perfection. During our monthly Success Squad meetings inevitably there's someone who is stuck on this idea of having things perfect before sharing it with the world. Sorry to put you ladies on blast, but it is true and I wanted to write about it today because it is truly heartbreaking sometimes to hear someone so talented stuck on this idea of needing things to be perfect. I personally think that perfect should never be a block for anyone creative and you wanna know why?

PERFECT IS SUBJECTIVE!

Perhaps I'm more familiar with the idea of subjectivity because I'm a photographer and people are constantly judging me and my work, but that hasn't stopped me from hitting that share button on my Facebook business page. And honestly, I had to come to a place where I just said to myself that I didn't give a f#*! about what people thought about my work because I was proud of it and that was going to have to be enough. Being judged can be extremely painful and we've all been there, someone said something this one time about us or are creative pursuits and it nearly killed us. But did it stop you from creating new work? I hope not because critiques, like the ones that Lisa went through in art school really just make you stronger and eventually you develop a thicker skin and you start letting go of this idea of perfect.

Listen, I can look at a photo that I adore and find like 5 things wrong with it or I can focus on the things I'd do differently, but I refuse to let that stuff hold me back. There's too many other wonderful photos that need to be taken out there in the world, so I tap back into my "I don't give a f#*! what people think" again and pick up my camera again.

At some point you have to let it be good enough and start sharing it with the world. We already think you're amazing and want to see your new stuff, so put on your big girl panties, tap into the "I don't give a f@*!" energy (you can always borrow some of mine, I have plenty at this point) and start showing us what you've got. Post that new jewelry design, start that blog you've always wanted and be ok with the idea that not everyone is going to like what you do, but you're going to do it anyway and that's some brave shit right there. Be brave, girl, be brave.

xo
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Oh YES! Perfection does not really exist, and actually runs counter to what we know about creativity and innovation. But that's just science talking. Blast on Sarah!

    ReplyDelete