Tuesday, October 16, 2012

When Should You Ask For Help?

So, when do you ask for help? Like Lisa said yesterday, we are firm believers in hiring out our weaknesses, so what happens when an overachiever feels overwhelmed?? Yeah, you guessed it, you ask for help, but I'm not going to sugar coat this at all for you. Asking for help is extremely anxiety producing for me and it pretty much sucks big time. You should've seen the email I sent Lisa this morning about what the voices in my head are saying about this admission of 'not being able to handle every single thing that comes my way!' I won't go too much into detail, but I will tell you that I feel unworthy of assistance. What the hell is that about?

I remember of felling this way when I worked at my non-profit, I was super busy and overwhelmed, but resisted bringing on an intern because more often than not, bringing someone else on board (for an overachiever like me) means more work....for me. Sure, they can handle things, but will they do it up to my standards? What if something important falls through the cracks? What if they have no initiative  What if they make a mistake and I have to cover for them? Stuff like that!
Untitled
And being good enough at my day job was enough for a long time, but when I started my own business I wanted it to be special. I make sure that all of my email correspondence is upbeat, informative and friendly. My client interactions when face to face are professional, empathetic and I always try to inject humor when possible. Since last month, I have been super super super busy and I have barely been keeping it together - photoshoots, email correspondence, scheduling, rescheduling, processing of payments, and all of my Success Squads. Just being good isn't acceptable anymore, so I am asking for help. I wrote up a 2 page job description while I was at the beach the other day and wow, it was awesome to fully write out everything that I want taken off my plate. Who will do the best job for me? 

Guess who submitted an application? My partner!! She's super professional, organized, articulate, full of great ideas and she knows me really well. She'd treat me better than I treat myself - for example, sometimes I forget to schedule in a lunch, but if she was managing my schedule, I'd for sure have a lunch and maybe even she'd help me schedule in a few yoga classes too. We are using this week to see how it goes. Wish us luck!

xo
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. It really is hard to ask for help sometimes! Being a full time working mom I have come to embrace asking for help. I am fortunate enough to have family close by to do it. Every once in a while a home cooked meal that you don't make is just what you need!

    Hope it goes well this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Sarah! I hope your "experiment" is a brilliant win for both of you, and I look forward to hearing more. I've often thought my husband would be the perfect right-hand (and left brain!) for my business, and I'm always inspired by stories of life partners who make it work at WORK as well!

    ReplyDelete