Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Small Business Report Card for 2012 - Part I


Today on the blog we are featuring one of our fabulous Success Squad members, Karrie. She owns the small business VideoKard and is responsible for making Lisa and my beautiful videokards. To see Lisa's again, click here, and of course here is mine. Karrie has been going full time with VideoKard for most of 2012 and is looking ahead to 2013. She's one hell of a planner and loves color coded spreadsheets, so when I asked her how she'd grade her business, I just knew she'd send along some excellent questions.

I wanted to share these questions with you today and please feel free to start grading your own business using these questions. We're going to doing big things in 2013 and the best way to do that is to be crystal clear about how well or what we struggled with in 2012. Ok, here are Karrie's questions and if you'd like to share your answers with us, please leave them in a comment below.

Here are some of the ways in which Karrie is going to grade her business this year:

1) How did my monthly income as an entrepreneur compare to income at a previous job?  Were there any things I lost in one way, but gained in another?

2) How did I organize constant connection and follow-up with clients?  What non-conventional (i.e., social media) ways could I also accomplish this?

3) What was my "180 Moment"? (the moment I completely changed my mind about something I thought I knew)

4) What collaborations did I participate in this year, and how did they help - or not help - my business?

5) What big leaps did I take, and which ones do I wish I hadn't taken?  What mental space was I in at the time, and how would I do it differently now?

6) How did my product improve beyond what I originally imagined?

7) What social media did I find to be most relevant to my business?

8) How did accountability play into my success this year, and how could it play a bigger role?

9) What the hell is networking?  How did I do it this year?


Thanks so much for this, Karrie! I'm going to answer a few of these questions right now, since I have the floor, ha.

1. How did my monthly income as an entrepreneur compare to income at a previous job?  Were there any things I lost in one way, but gained in another?

I'm definitely making more now than I did at my previous job, mostly because it was a non-profit. I don't think that I lost anything by leaving other than the comrade of working in a really fun office and a good night's rest. Since heading out on my own, I find it really hard to turn off my brain at night because I cant hand off a project to an intern or anything - if something goes undone, it is because I didn't do it. I'm working on changing this though for 2013!

6) How did my product improve beyond what I originally imagined?

My product has improved a great deal this year, mostly because I'm shooting so much more. I had hoped that my photography and packages with resonate with people and I'm elated (and extremely grateful) that I've been able to be working so much. Each shoot that I have I try to challenge myself to do something new and different for my clients. I have also been able to invent new packages and replace the ones that weren't working very well.

7) What social media did I find to be most relevant to my business?

Social media that's been most relevant for my business is my Facebook business page. I devote most of my time and energy to it and I've linked it up to Twitter, so it is going really well. I post Instagram photos to my FB business page too! Yelp has also been really a very important website to my business. I wouldn't say it is 'social media' per se, but following up with clients and getting testimonials assures me top ranking whenever someone types "headshots and San Francisco" in to Yelp.

Woohoo! Gimme more, can't wait to see what questions are on the blog Friday.

xo
Sarah

PS. Karrie is teaching a class at Makeshift Society in December & I'm totally going. Read all about it RIGHT HERE!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I really wanna start this comment by saying how gorgeous those “videokards” are! Karrie’s business is really going well, I might say, and her skills are excellent. It suddenly gave me the idea of creating and posting an introductory video for myself on my blogs, too. I think it’s also a cool way to brand your small start-up business, which I think have helped you with Zelma Rose.

    On the other hand, I would also wanna thank you and Karrie for the questions you shared on how to grade a business you own. I think that’s very necessary, especially if the business is just starting to grow. I just want to ask, and I based it on your answer to the 7th question, haven’t you considered devoting time on your Google Plus? I saw your page and I think you should really optimize it more, join communities, hang-out, and so much more! ;)

    -Alleli, from a BPO company

    ReplyDelete